What can a teenager to in Puglia?
There are plenty of activities that will keep even the most demanding teenager occupied during a holiday in Puglia. Once they step away from their screens and out into the sunshine, there is a whole new world waiting for them!
For those that like hiking and trekking, there are some spectacular paths to take, either unaccompanied, or as part of a wider, more organised group. The relatively flat terrain is also ideal for cycling and, as a result, there are a great number of picturesque cycling paths. On the coast, there are many water sport activities available, such as: sailing, kayaking and snorkelling, as well as organised games of beach volleyball.
In Castellana Grotte, near Bari, there is there is an adventure park called IndianaPark, which is suitable for visitors of all ages. Set in a magnificent oak forest, the park features suspended pathways set up between the trees, and provides a fabulous day out for the whole family, immersed in nature.
Many teenagers are party animals and, over the summer months, Puglia becomes a real party paradise. The whole region is buzzing. There are beach parties practically everywhere, regular concerts and festivals scattered around the region and more sophisticated nightclub venues in the larger centres.
During the summer, Puglia bursts into life with a whole series of festivals. One of the principal music events is the 'Bari in Jazz' festival, which takes place over a fortnight during July and August, featuring music artists from all over the world, performing in different locations around the province of Bari. There are opera festivals in Martina Franca, in the Valle d’Itria, and also in Taranto.There is also a Beer Festival in Lecce. The event is free to enter and features a selection of local craft beers and is accompanied by live music. In addition, there are a series of the kinds of traditional festivals that Italy is famous for.
- La Scamiciata: This takes place on 18th - 19th June, and is a historical re-enactment of the victory over the Turks in June 1678. It starts from Fasano, in the province of Brindisi, and finishes at the Sanctuary of the Vergine del Pozzo.
- La Notte di San Giovanni: This takes place on 22nd June and features music and traditional dancing. It is one of the most magical summer nights in Puglia and takes place in Bitetto, Putignano, and Ostuni.
- San Pietro e Paolo: This takes place on 28th-29th June, and is a celebration of the delicious local food and colourful Salento folklore of Otranto.
- Sagra di Ferragosto: This takes place on the 15th August each year at San Vito dei Normanni, in the province of Brindisi, and features a music concert together with pizzica dancers and musicians.
- ‘Sagra Pirotecnica della Valle d’Itria’: As part of the 5-day celebration of Locorotondo's patron saint, San Rocco, several of Italy's most renowned firework specialists come together for a firework competition which starts a midnight!