The Puglia region has some of the best beaches in Italy. Some people might think that Puglia is too far away or not as developed as other parts of Italy, but Puglia is a fascinating destination full of natural beauty. The climate in Puglia is perfect for being able to lay by a pool or swim in the sea and, with its rich history, culture, and cuisine, there isn't a more perfect place than Puglia if you're looking for a beautiful Italian getaway.
Does Puglia have beaches?
Puglia has some beautiful beaches. Some would say that the region is blessed with some of Italy's best beaches and, as the region is fairly narrow, you are never far away from them.
Here is a list of the top beaches to visit in Puglia.
- Lido del sole (Rodi Garganico) - This beach has golden sand and a gently shelving seabed, ideal for young children.
- Lido Cala Paura (Polignano a mare) - Stony beach close to the town. It becomes very crowded in August.
- Capitolo (Monopoli) - Long stretch of sand and clear water. Awarded blue flag status.
- Torre Pozzelle (Ostuni) - Very picturesque area with small sandy coves separated by rocky headlands. Perfect area for snorkling.
- Torre dell'Orso (Melendugno) - A wide beach, approximately 1km long, of fine sand with dunes behind leading to a pine forest. The beach is dominated by a stone tower, Torre dell’Orso. There are two striking rocks in the bay, called the Two Sisters.
- Baia dei Turchi (Otranto) - This is a truly beautiful beach, decorated with a blue flag and five sails. Reputed to be the place where the Saracens landed to conquer the area in the 15th century.
- Punto Pizzo (Gallipoli) - An unspoilt beach lying to the south of the town and located within a local nature park.
- Spiaggia Porto Miggiano (Santa Cesarea Terme) - Beautiful sandy cove surrounded by high cliffs. Close to the famous Thermal Baths of Santa Cesarea Terme.
- Spiaggia di Salsello (Bisceglie) - Beautiful beach with a mix of sand and pebbles.
- Lido Morelli (Ostuni) - A gently curving bay with a sandy beach and clear, shallow water, close to the town. Ideal for families and well equipped with bars and cafes.
Hopefully this information will help you decide what beach is best for you. If you want to have a vast choice of Italy's prettiest beaches, then Puglia is your place. Interested in seeing what else Puglia has to offer? See our other blog posts about this lovely Italian region! For the time being, ciao!