Going on your walking tour of Puglia is a great way to explore this beautiful area and enjoy its coastal scenery. Take a break from Italy's central city's sometimes busy streets and embark on an intimate escape into this historically rich countryside.
Can you go hiking in Puglia?
Yes. Anyone can go hiking in Puglia with a good level of fitness which is prepared to get out of their comfort zone and experience some new things. If you are fit and healthy, there is no reason why you can't go hiking in Puglia.
You need to be prepared to get off the beaten track, but there's lots of information available if you need help.
Types of Hiking in Puglia
There are two types of hiking in Puglia: 'leisure' and 'adventure.'
Leisure hiking is generally more straightforward and more suitable for the casual walker. This can take place at a slow pace, with stops at vantage points where you can enjoy the scenery.
On the other hand, adventure hiking is more challenging and may involve rugged climbing hills or negotiating tricky terrain. There are also longer hikes in this genre, and you can expect to cover a greater distance. You'll be able to find many options for hiking in Puglia. You can choose a stroll through a forest or a more challenging mountain trek along a path.
Hiking trails in Puglia
There are plenty of hiking trails you can choose from in Puglia. The Apennines are made up of many national parks and nature reserves, making it possible to enjoy the countryside without any substantial impact on the environment.
- Bosco delle Pianelle - Martina Franca
- Il Sentiero Vecchio del Ciolo - Lecce
- Valle dell'Inferno - Foggia
- Abbazia Santa Maria di Cerrate - Casalabate
- Monte Le Fergole and Valley - Ostuni
- Monte Vergine - Pallanzano
- Monte Pizzuto - Cisternino
- La rotta dei due mari - Alberobello
- Valle D'Itria ciclovia acquedotto - Cisternino
- Termetrio Speziale Ostuni Eremo di San Biagio - Cisternino
Whatever type of hike you do, there will always be a trail map you can follow. We recommend checking it over before starting, particularly in the national parks where safety regulations are more rigid.
What to expect while hiking in Puglia
To enjoy the whole hike experience in Puglia, you need to prepare yourself when you leave.
Start your hike early in the morning, preferably before 10 am, to allow enough time for unexpected weather.
Ensure you have the right hiking gear and that it's in good condition. Before you set off on your hike, remember to check your equipment to ensure everything is in place. And do not forget to prepare a first aid kit and a map of the area.
Benefits of hiking in Puglia
- While hiking in Puglia, you will enjoy the beautiful scenery and take it all in a while getting in a gentle exercise.
- Hiking is one of the best ways to stay fit and trim. With a bit of enthusiasm, you'll never feel the need to hit the gym again!
- There is a "wow" factor of hiking in Puglia, especially if you take part in an adventure hike. You will be amazed at how steep your path is. If you feel afraid, push yourself through the fear and be a hero!
- Go ahead and hike in Puglia; it's one of the most enjoyable things to do in Italy.
I hope this article helped determine whether you can go hiking in Puglia and the benefits of going. Puglia is the place to go if you want to have a wonderful hiking experience. So, what are you holding out for? Book your trip to Puglia today and enjoy everything this region offers!
Are you intrigued about what else Puglia has to offer? Check out our other blog posts about this beautiful Italian region! Ciao for the time being!